Saturday, January 22, 2011

Charting the course

Last night we attended the dinner for artists and participants of Close Encounters at Urban Shaman. Rosalie Favell was taking portraits of Aboriginal artists at the dinner for her Facing the Camera series. I had previously seen a handful of these photos last year in a hallway at The Banff Centre. I wandered into the room where she was taking the portraits to ask her a bit about them. Rosalie told me she was attempting to make a collection of 100 Aboriginal artists, in order to document the community. She asked if I would like to have my picture taken and I agreed. I noticed, when signing the release form that the stated intent of her goal in this work is to document this small, but growing, community. It was then that I realized how Rosalie's had informed my own desire to document an integral part of the same group of people while in Winnipeg. On my part, this was the impetus for creating the chart, a sort of "people map" with Vanessa. I want to take note of the important work that Rosalie is doing, on a much larger scale, of creating this record.

~Jessie

2 comments:

  1. Thats all you two absorbed from attending the welcoming feast? ADBR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Amber Dawn,
    thank you for your interest in our blog. l guess, from your comment, that you are interested in seeing more written about the welcome feast
    at Urban Shaman? To be sure, there were a number of different people at this important event at Urban Shaman. As this is simply a blog of personal observations that was written in the short time between events, we have not necessarily fully covered every event over the
    opening weekend. As we continue to work on this blog over the next couple of weeks, we will look at revisiting the Urban Shaman event. - Jessie & Vanessa

    ReplyDelete